How it works
Getting started with Spruce & co is easy, just email or call me for a chat. Our initial conversation will give me a sense of what’s important to you, what you hope to achieve, and how I can help. It’s important that you feel comfortable working with me in your home, and that we’re both on the same page.
When I come to your house, we’ll take a look at the area you’d like spruced and together we’ll finalise a plan of action. Then we roll up our sleeves and get on with it!
There’s no need to be nervous. I’m easy going and patient, and we’ll take things at a pace that you’re comfortable with. If you need a little encouragement, I’ll be there to guide you through and ask the hard questions gently.
During our consultation I will:
- Help you sort through your things, carefully, respectfully and without judgement
- Provide hints and tips on how to clear your clutter quickly and effectively
- Talk you through why some things are harder to let go of than others
- Help you see your stuff in a whole new light
- Offer suggestions about how to organise the things you keep
- Outline a plan for you to deal with anything we don’t get to on the day
- Take away any items you wish to donate to charity
Check out our packages to see what suits you best
I will take as many quality donatable items as will fit safely in my car. It is a little Tardis-like, but can’t manage large furniture or white goods.
Good quality items taken for charity will be donated to West Welcome Wagon in the first instance. They are a local, volunteer-run charity that supports asylum seekers in Melbourne’s west. They provide material goods, emergency food relief, neighbour to neighbour social support and much more.
Using Spruce & Co to help support asylum seekers is very important to me. If you live in Melbourne’s west, I strongly encourage you to become part of the West Welcome Wagon.
Peace of Mind
It can be a little daunting to ask a stranger into your house and let them go through your cupboards, so here’s a little list for your peace of mind:
- I have a current police check, available on request (all clear, I promise!)
- Your privacy is important to me. I will not discuss your job with anyone or use aspects of our work together in any way that might identify you, unless you give your express permission for me to do so.
- I do encourage before and after photos so you can track your progress, but will never use these to promote Spruce & co
I choose not to work with people who hoard, but I highly recommend the services provided by Angela Esnouf at Creating Order from Chaos and Wendy Hanes at Skeletons in the Closet. Both Angela and Wendy have many years experience and specialise in decluttering services for people who hoard. They work closely with a network of skilled professionals to help their clients overcome hoarding behaviours.
I contacted Spruce & co for some help sorting out my wardrobes (and the bags of clothes that were under the bed, in the loft, in the spare room…). At the back of mind was the fact that some clothes were over 10 years old, and others hadn’t been worn in more than 5 years, yet I had never been able to throw them out or give them away. So, I was a little nervous about having to justify some of the bits I have kept, but Nadine was really warm and supportive, and genuinely interested in the meaning some pieces had for me. In the end, I found that by looking at all the clothes I had in a structured way, side by side, I was able to make confident choices about what works for me now, and what I no longer needed to hold on to. It was a great feeling to open my wardrobe and only see clothes that fit, and complement my shape and lifestyle. I didn’t expect the sense of freedom that came with decluttering, and I am keen to work on other areas of my house to streamline and create space. I would really recommend Nadine and Spruce & co, and plan to use them again.
Fiona, South Yarra